Delta State Government Squandered N9 Billion Allocation In Just Three Days, says Anti-corruption Network
The Anti-Corruption Network (ACN) has expressed alarm that the Excess Crude Allocation to Delta State in January 2013—over N9.4 billion—was frittered away by the government of that state in less than three days using a lot of frivolous manoeuvres.
Among them, ACN said in a statement dated March 25, 2014 in which it focused on Delta Stated, several subheads were listed repeatedly with different amounts “paid,” while over N279 million was spent on hampers (gifts) alone.
“The desperation to consume the said over N9 billion is [unparalleled] in the history of the university of corruption,” the group said, adding that no tangible social amenity or infrastructure [was] undertaken by the government.
“So a total of #9,424,933,907.72 was frivolously spent under one week leaving a balance of only #8,511,851.41,” it pointed out.
ACN said it would in the course of the week forward a proper petition to all the anti-graft agencies, stressing that corruption in the states must stop, and that it would carry its crusade from state to state.
Full text of the statement:
25th March, 2014
The Anti-corruption Network
FOCUS ON DELTA STATE
In our efforts at the Anti-Corruption Network to beam our search light on the States of the Federal Republic, starting from Delta State, we are amazed at the frivolous ways, manners and tittles of Expenditure that cannot stand the test of proper Auditing or accounting in even many failed countries.
The information available to us in one of the instance among others at our disposal is to say the least scandalous. This is in regards to the utilization of the Excess Crude allocation to Delta State received in January 2013.
A total of Nine Billion, four hundred and thirty three million, four hundred and forty five thousand, seven hundred and fifty nine naira thirteen kobo (#9,433,445,759.13)
This money was spent in almost less than three days after receipt in such a manner that calls the principle of accounting to questions.
1. It was discovered that a total of #279,020,000.00 was spent on Hampers alone.
2. The maintenance of street lights, for the month of November gulped #74, 203, 384.03 and #72, 356, 799.85 respectively, between 2 Companies. Was street maintenance not budgeted for in the 2012 appropriation?
3. We have a title;” October 2012 overhead” cost put at #1, 425, 99, 800 .00 – Again was this not budgeted and appropriated for in 2012 budget of Delta State?
4. We also have GHP overhead in two places without any month in reference at #120,000 000.00 and #110, 000 000.00 respectively – are these not captured in the budget?
5. We also have Award to Members of Delta State Contingent, Eko 2012 Games, Lagos put at #330,740,000 and same tittle repeated with varied amount of #318,100,00.00
6. Construction of Trans-Warri- Ode Itsekiri Bridge and Access road #800,000,000 was this not in budget?
7. A scandalous tittle namely “Various Government House payments #216,000,000.00.
8. Estacode to Vienna, Austria and Los Angeles #31,465,491.00.
9. Hosting of Senior Course 35 participants of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jabi at #37,258,500.00.
10. Two times Assistance to hosting of National Health Summit cost put at #45,000,000.00 and #35,000,000.00 respectively. While the proper hosting of same event cost #40,504,000.00.
11. Another tittle GHP overhead (O/H) different from the earlier ones with no month in reference put at #558, 000.000.00 and O/H put at #100,000,000.
12. You have some funny tittles such as printed release warrants (H) (K) and (M) put at the cost of #939,559,371.96, and #337,417,202.61 and #444,165,589.00 respectively.
13. You then have a printed release warrant differently which cost is put at #1,988,308,165.58.
So a total of #9,424,933,907.72 was frivolously spent under one week leaving a balance of only #8,511,851.41.
The desperation to consume the said over #9 billion is un parallel in the history of the university of corruption. No tangible social Amenity or infrastructure considered. This is a pattern in Delta State. We will during the week forward a proper petition to all Anti-graft Agencies. Corruption in all states must stop; we will go states by state.
God Bless Nigeria.