We’ll Help Nigeria Rescue Chibok Girls –Israeli Envoy
The Israeli Ambassador to South Africa, Arthur Lenk, on Sunday said his home government is ready to assist Nigeria in fighting terrorism and ending the captivity of the abducted pupils of Government Girls’ Secondary School, Chibok in the hands of the outlawed Islamist sect, Boko Haram.
Speaking two days after the leader of the sect, Abubakar Shekau, boasted in a video that he had married off the schoolgirls, the diplomat noted that failure to rescue them might pose serious consequences to Nigeria and Africa as a whole.
Lenk, who is also his country’s envoy to Lesotho, Mauritius and Swaziland, said on Twitter that his home government would share its experience in containing terrorism in the Middle East with Nigeria.
He said, “If we don’t actually all act to help Nigeria to bring back our girls, awful lessons of Boko Haram will spread to other African places.”
While responding to an enquiry by our correspondent on Twitter, Lenk stated that Israel would join hands with Nigeria to “fight this (Boko Haram) together” with the overall aim of rescuing the Chibok girls and finding a lasting solution to the current insurgency in the country.
According to him, the support of friendly nations of the world was needed to assist Nigeria in its quest to battle the Boko Haram extremists.
When asked to be specific on how the Israeli government would be of help, Lenk stated, “Certainly it will be through public support and quiet sharing of experiences and knowledge.”
Meanwhile, a former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has asked the Federal Government to “crush” the Boko Haram, instead of negotiating with it.
Noting that Nigerians want the FG to act and not negotiate with the terrorist group, the former minister wrote on Twitter that he had been reliably informed that there was no ceasefire deal in the first place.
Fani-Kayode also disagreed with the military authorities who had taken credit for the killing of Shekau in September.
“The fact that there is no ceasefire and that Boko Haram’s Shekau is still alive is a setback for our country. The solution: Crush the Haramites,” he wrote on his Twitter page.
While reports claimed that the insurgents had overrun Mubi, a university town in Adamawa State, the Presidency appeared to be preoccupied with the 2015 general election.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, boasted that he was employing what he called an “Indomie Marketing Strategy” to sell President Goodluck Jonathan’s candidature ahead of the election.
Okupe argued that there was “nothing to market” about a leading candidate of the opposition All Progressives Congress, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), adding that even “the blind and the politically naïve” knew that he had a remote chance of winning the presidential election in 2015.
Writing on Twitter, Okupe stated, “GMB (Buhari) has no record of achievement in anything either personally or while in government service.
“GMB is, sadly, a pawn on the national political chess board being manipulated by groups who believe that his candidature will catapult them to high political offices of their dream.
“Buhari is aware of these plots. But he wants to exploit their greed for power to win and punish all; both his friends and foes.
“There is nothing to market about GMB except dubious claims of being a disciplinarian and not being corrupt. We are marketing the achievements of GEJ.
“For the purpose of clarity ‘Indomie Marketing Strategy’ means putting in public view achievements of GEJ in a repetitive manner for effectiveness.”
But a key member of the APC and former Governor of Kwara State, Dr. Bukola Saraki, has insisted that all the presidential hopefuls being paraded by his party are more qualified to lead Nigeria than President Goodluck Jonathan.
Saraki argued that though the power allocations to Jonathan since 2010 till date stood at N553m, there was nothing to show for the huge expenditure.
Insisting on Twitter that Jonathan has failed Nigerians, the lawmaker representing Kwara Central Senatorial District at the National Assembly, also cited the worsening insecurity in the north east as evidence of the failure of the Jonathan administration.
He wrote, “President Jonathan’s primary responsibility is the protection of lives and property of Nigerians, regardless of ethnic background. How well has he performed? I actually do not hate him (Jonathan). It is his lack of political will to do the right thing that I dislike. All the APC presidential candidates are more qualified and committed than the incumbent.”