Naija Center News
Nigerian Newspapers, Naija News & Naija Politics

Jonathan under pressure to save Abba Moro’s job

0 0

*David Mark nomindated Abba Moro
* Jonathan is obeying due process before asking Moro to quit

By Ehi Ekhator

Some influential groups and individuals are on the neck of President Goodluck Jonathan trying to save the Minister of Interior, Abba Moro from being fired due to the recruitment stampede that led to the death of some applicants over the weekend.

Abba Moro, Minister of Interior
Abba Moro, Minister of Interior

It could be recalled that about 19 job seekers died, including four pregnant women in the stampede and the embattled minister blamed on the death.

However, in response to the accusation, Minister Moro alleged that the death of the applicants were caused by impatience during the exercise.

According to the information gathered, Minister Moro have been shattered by the situation, and it could be recalled that President Jonathan queried him and the Comptroller-General of Immigration, Mr. David Parradang, earlier in the week.

Some Ministers, Notable leaders from the Middle Belt from Plateau and Benue State are doing everything possible to reach the President and his friends in order to save Moro’s from being fired.

According to the information from a Middle Belt source, he said “Some emissaries from the Middle Belt have even trailed the President abroad to discuss Moro’s issue with him.

“They are demanding fair hearing for Moro before any action is taken. They are also pressurizing Moro to open up and release relevant information to the public.

“They said they want the President to give Moro a second chance because the minister’s recourse to a transparent process backfired last Saturday.

As gathered yesterday, President Jonathan is waiting for the Senate President to return from abroad before deciding on Moro’s faith because, information revealed that Abba Moro was nominated by Mark.

Sources revealed that the President wants to make security reports on the job stampede available to Mark in deference to his office before wielding the big stick.

It is revealed that Moro is in battling for survival as he is in bad shape over the incident.

Presidency source said that Moro costly mistake is difficult to be overlooked irrespective of political pressure.

The President is said to respect the office of David Mark by making available, all security reports to him concerning David Mark before sanctioning the minister and others connected with the tragic recruitment exercise.

In addition, the President love to follow due process before sacking or asking Moro to quit.

There were indications that the President had been expecting a comprehensive brief from Moro on the incidents in various venues nationwide; how the recruitment was outsourced to a consulting firm; and the true position on the alleged non-involvement of some critical stakeholders in the exercise.

A source in the presidency said: “The President believes that he should lay all the facts and security on the table for Mark, who nominated Moro into the cabinet.

“The President of the Senate is away to Geneva for the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) meeting. In a political environment like this, the President does not want to remove Moro without ‘adequate’ briefing.

“The worst scenario is to give the President of the Senate another opportunity to nominate a fresh candidate.

“The truth is that the President has made up his mind to sanction those behind the job stampede and deaths. There are governance standards all over the world. Overlooking such a matter will not help the image of the administration.

Asked why the President has not acted, the source added: “If you look at the President’s style, he does not go by the mob or the spur of the moment; he takes his time to act. This case will not be an exception.

“Moro has the choice of toeing the honourable path of resigning or remaining in the cabinet to be sacked.

“But definitely, the game is up for Moro from whatever perspective you think of it. He is the accounting officer of the Ministry of Interior.”

Responding to a question, the source said: “There have been overtures from some governors and leaders from the Middle Belt to the President to give Moro a soft-landing or a second chance.

“There is no way the President will gloss over such a costly mistake which led to the death of about 20 applicants.

“Politics aside, there is moral code all over the world guiding public officers.”

Moro and Parradang are preparing for their appearance before the Senate and House of Representatives next week.

Another source said: “Moro appears to be central to the issue at stake having been fingered in the recruitment crisis by other stakeholders. That is why the minister has been digging up all necessary files to absolve himself of blame.

“The minister has the last chance at the National Assembly next week to clear the air on this job stampede.

“Some people have been trying to ask Moro and the Immigration Service to close ranks on this probe, but there is no sign that all is well.”

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
Comments
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More