We were not invited to Jonathan’s meeting – APC
They were not invited, says Akpabio
BY Ben Agande
ABUJA—The All Progressives Congress, APC, has explained the reason behind the inability of its governors to attend the expanded National Security Council, NSC, meeting at the Presidential Villa, yesterday.
The party said in a statement by its Interim National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, that reports that the governors “under the aegis of the party shunned the expanded NSC meeting called by President Goodluck Jonathan to review the security situation in the country,” was false.
He said: “The truth of the matter is that governors of APC-controlled states were given the impression that the meeting had been called off.
“On Wednesday, the Presidency called the Chief Detail of Kwara State government to say that the meeting had been called off. On the basis of this information, which apparently got to other governors under the aegis of APC, our governors did not attend.
“Now that the meeting has been held, it is incumbent on the Presidency to launch an investigation into the source of the call to Kwara State government and what the call was meant to achieve.
“Irrespective of the totally unfounded and absolutely irresponsible allegation that the APC is behind the escalating security situation, our party will not shy away from any serious effort to end the terrorist attacks in our country. Therefore, it is not true that our governors shunned the meeting with the President.”
Earlier reports were that the expanded NSC meeting between President Goodluck Jonathan, service chiefs and heads of security agencies and the governors of the 36 states of the federation was boycotted by governors under the aegis of the APC.
Jonathan convened the meeting to review the escalating security situation in the country, in the wake of the bombing of a bus station in Nyanya and the abduction of over 100 students from a girls’ secondary school in Borno State.