Boko Haram Massacres 21 Travellers in Borno

0 153
  • many vehicles burnt
  • travellers, mostly women adopted

Boko Haram terrorists attacked travellers who were stranded outside the military-controlled entrance gate of Maiduguri on Sunday.

At least, 20 peoples, who are mostly travellers were reportedly killed.

The incident which was confirmed by the governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum said the incident happened in Auno, 24 km from the Maiduguri city centre.

Bomb Scene
Bomb Scene

The terrorists also adopted many travellers who were mostly women, while many of the vehicles were set ablaze.

Premium Times reports that the Nigerian military in Borno recently erected a gate which it locks at the curfew time, usually 6 pm.

Due to its perceived safety, often times, long distant travellers spend the night outside the gate till morning when the gate is opened.

The idea to close the gate at a designated time had been widely criticized by the public who opined that locking travellers outside the gate and making them sleep the nearby bush exposed them to attacks.

On Sunday, many travellers decided to spend the night in Auno after the soldiers locked the highway.

Premiumtimes quotes an eyewitness in Auno who said the attackers came in large numbers and opened fire around 10 pm on travellers who were sleeping inside their vehicles.

“The gunmen killed more than a dozen and injured others,” a survivor said.

“They also burnt 18 buses and cars and took away other travellers.”

Mr Zulum, who visited the scene early Monday morning, met some of the vehicles still burning.

“Some of the vehicles had charred corpses of travellers, including children,” said a government official who does not want to be named.

“We were told more than 20 persons were killed.”

Mr Zulum, who was accompanied by the Garrison Commander 7 Div Nigerian Army, sympathised with the victims and assured them of his and President Buhari’s administration’s “commitment towards ending the war. ”

“I saw some three bodies that were burnt on the ground. I counted about 21 vehicles that have been burnt,” a commercial driver, Mallam Yunusa, who witnessed the incident, said.

The military is currently addressing the media on the development.

More details later…

Editor’s note: the image on this article is not related to the incident, it’s for mere reference.

Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy

Follow this blog

Get every new post delivered right to your inbox.