Boko Haram: Buhari Condemns Auno’s Village Massacre
In his usual template, the Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the attacked by Boko Haram on Sunday night.
Buhari described the attack as “cowardly and murderous”.
On Sunday night in Auno village, 24 km from Borno State, Boko Haram killed over 20 travellers, abducted many among which were mostly females, burned over a dozen vehicles.
The village slept in Auno village following the recent decision of the Nigerian military to erect a gate at the highway.
The gate is locked at a designated time, usually 6 pm.
Most travellers sleep at the gate, while some sleep at the nearby bush pending when the gate is opened the following morning.
Though the idea had been widely criticized, the Nigerian military has sustained the process.
Reacting to the attack in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Buhari condemned the “murderous and cowardly attack on innocent passengers by the Boko Haram terrorists near Maiduguri’’, adding: “This administration is ever determined to frustrate their goal to hold Nigeria to ransom’’.
“The commitment of this administration to protect the lives of Nigerians will not be derailed by the cowardly and indiscriminate violence against innocent people by Boko Haram terrorists,’’ he said while reacting to recent attacks in Maiduguri.
President Buhari, who also condoled with the government of the state, warns “that terrorists are clearly on a back foot and their days are numbered’’.
“As our armed forces continue to receive more hardware and intelligence to counter our current security challenges, the remnants of Boko Haram will ultimately be crushed. The peculiar challenges of asymmetric warfare notwithstanding, our armed forces are ever determined to defeat these enemies of humanity,’’ President Buhari said.