Coronavirus: Nigeria Gets Another Three Suspected Cases
The Nigerian government says it has recorded three new suspected cases of the Coronavirus in the country.
The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Akin Abayomi said on Thursday that three patients are currently isolated at the containment facility in Yaba, Lagos.
The patients, the commissioner said, arrived from England, China and France.
“Their samples have been taken and results are being expected,” he said.
“The suspected patients came to Nigeria from France, England and China.”
Nigeria confirmed its first case on 25 February when an Italian man invited by a company in Ondo tested positive to the virus.
About 56 people who had contact with the index patients were immediately quarantined in the government’s effort to curtail the spread of the virus.
The government says it has provided an Isolation facility in readiness for the coronavirus.
Premium Times had reported that three nationals who were suspected to have the virus tested negative three days ago in Lagos.
Others tested in Abuja have also come out negative.
On the current suspected cases, Commissioner Abayomi said one of the three new suspected cases is a Nigerian who arrived in Lagos days ago after visiting France for seven days.
He said the patient had respiratory symptoms as well as a headache.
“So, because he had been to a country where there is an active person to person transmission, it could be a common cold, but there is a possibility that it could be coronavirus.
“We are not taking chances, there is active transmission going on in France and we have isolated him,” the commissioner said.
He said the patients are being tested and test results awaited.